Monday, February 22, 2010

The Special Event 2010 - Coming Full Circle

By Marla Watson-Werst, CSEP, CTA

Excitement is always in the air whenever The Special Event comes around. There are a lot of great classes, a terrific trade show, and great parties that can be over the top and lavish beyond your wildest dreams. I love all of these things, but this year I was able to see one of the most amazing examples of love, labor and coming full circle, as we journeyed to our sister city of New Orleans for the 2010 Special Event.

The Special Event has always held a special place in my heart. I have been blessed to participate in several, and even Co-Sponsored the Opening General Session when in was here in Dallas in 2006, with Brian Acheson, CSEP of VIP Events & Jim Monroe, CMP, CSEP. It was a great event and one that I never expected to take so much away from.

That was a hard year for our sister ISES Chapter in New Orleans. Katrina had hit the previous year and almost destroyed one of the greatest event cities in the world. It affected them financially and in spirit. It hit us close to home, as these wonderful folks had been our friends for many years in the industry. It was a hard thing to watch, but a small silver lining sprung forward from the S.E.A.R.C.H. Foundation, who came in and gave the chapter enough money to help keep it going, and helped some of its members from going under financially. It was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, and we all became even closer from that special moment.

Over the next several years, we would see our friends from NOLA, and hear stories about the rebuilding of the city, and the event industry by the great people who were fighting the good fight. S.E.A.R.C.H. Foundation made sure to let us know each year at Eventworld and TSE how our friends in New Orleans were doing, and what we could do to continue lending them support. It was never forgotten, and everyone always gave more to the cause, as a result.

As the years have pass by, I knew I wanted to return to my favorite city but the timing never worked out to get me there. Then it was announced that TSE 2010 would be in New Orleans. The chills ran up my spine, as I knew I would be back in the city I loved, and with the people who I had grown so close with since that TSE in 2006. It would be a chance for us all to celebrate the true spirit of the event industry together in grand fashion.

The city did not disappoint! From the Education to the Opening General Session to the Opening Night Party & Wedding Luncheon to the Gala Awards – not one thing was missing in the equation. Our NOLA friends worked night and day to create a new aura and mystique about the city that doesn’t give up! It was really a wonderful way to celebrate the true spirit of perseverance and tenacity. You see, NOLA is the embodiment of True Grit. I am so blessed to have seen it come full circle and cant wait to return again and again. As they say in New Orleans ~ Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment